Updated on 14th June 2021
25 Wheelwright Drive, Eccleshall, Staffs, ST21 LB
01785 851381 07815 419166 email: email@example.com
Where do the symbols on the Eccleshall Town crest come from?
The four quarters on the shield are the Stafford Knot, the Fleur-
The five pointed symbol represents the fact that Eccleshall is situated at the junction of five roads, five lines of communication. The particular symbol was taken from a half penny coin dated 1666 found in the front garden of a house in High Street.
The cannon represents the battle between the Roundheads and the Cavaliers when Cromwell’s Roundheads fired their cannon (from the current cricket ground) at the castle, where King Charles’s cavaliers had taken refuge.
The embattlements on the shield symbolise the fact that a castle has stood in Eccleshall since King John’s reign and has been very important to the life and development of the town.
The bishop’s mitre symbolises the association between the bishops of Lichfield and Eccleshall based at Eccleshall castle, which from st Chad’s time was an ecclesiastical manor. St Chad had the manor AD669 until 1877, the Bishop of Lichfield resided in Eccleshall. The wavy blue line represents the River Sow and the green background represents the countryside.
Welcome to the Eccleshall Guide